Garcinia plant in india
Heart ailments are a major issue for many as it deteriorates when people age and can develop many different health conditions as it gets weaker.
Garcinia Cambogia India
The problem of obesity in India has led to people seeking ways to reduce fat. Consequently there is a spate in the number of weight loss products. We are here to help you to make up your mind with regards to the most effective solution to your ever present weight loss problem. It is called Garcinia Cambogia India which is extracted from a fruit found in tropical locations and has been a very ground breaking discovery in the field of weight loss. In case, you always wanted to attain a perfect physique, well we are for you. Just make a visit to our website and find a huge range of Garcinia Cambogia India products with various combo packages in order to assist you in making your selection profitable. Indian television is replete with fat-loss products which often confuse the consumers but Wow Garcinia Cambogia stands tall amongst them with its recognizable results and hence, truly deserves the media attention it has received. Some people may confuse Garcinia Cambogia for a Latina from South America but it is actually a plant species found in the South and Southeast Asia including India where its fruit has traditionally been used as souring agent. It is also used in traditional medicines as well. In our traditional medicine system the souring agents are credited with digestion improving capabilities. Ever since its weight loss capabilities have been established Garcinia Cambogia India has helped many people lose weight and attain their dream physique in the most natural way. These pills have rightly been called the magic pills. The changes that you will observe in yourself will be nothing short of ‘magic’. When coupled with balanced diet and a healthy daily routine these pills do bring a lot of magic in your life.
How Does Garcinia Cambogia works?
The results of this exotic herb with multitude of benefits are magical when it comes to its effectiveness in weight loss. This ‘magic’ is performed by the naturally obtained substance called HCA which is nothing but a variant of citric acid present in the citrus family fruits like orange and lemon. This is just to make you understand that it is a naturally occurring substance. It is the skin of this fruit which is used as an effective weight loss agent, it contains a natural substance called HCA (Hydroxycitric Acid) which not only helps in weight loss naturally but also brings down the bad cholesterol and triglycerides. At the same time it increases good cholesterol and thereby helps in boosting the immunity. Hydroxycitric acid (also known as HCA) – a citric acid derivative – is usually found in a variety of tropical plant species like Garcinia Cambogia India and Hibiscus subdariffa. This acid possesses a potential of modulating lipid metabolism. Amongst many studies done on this substance the most attention was bestowed on the study conducted on Zucker rat species which literally proved that the intake of extensively high dose of this medicinal extract having a considerable quantity of HCA content can sincerely lead to lesser epididymal fat accumulation but could also provoke higher testicular toxicity. To summarize, it has basically a multi-pronged approach.
- It reduces excess carbohydrate conversion to fat and hence, helps in fat loss.
- It also helps liver in turning down sugar to energy instead of converting it to fat and hence, allowing your body in becoming a fat fighter machine.
- It suppresses food cravings after meals and hence, aids in reducing the intake of food effectively. Moreover, it also brings down leptin levels – a hormone which is present inside blood – responsible to trigger hunger. Alternatively, Wow Garcinia Cambogia allows a person to feel lesser hunger and hence, he/she doesn’t require to take follow up meals.
We are amongst the leading brand of Garcinia Cambogia across India and are known for manufacturing, distribution and marketing of the medicine since a very long time. Don’t wait! Just go and place your very first order right now so as to avail its benefits..
Why Is Garcinia Cambogia So Popular in India?
Weight loss is a very common pursuit for many now a days and with so many alternatives it becomes very difficult for consumers to zero in on the one they want for themselves. Precisely what makes Garcinia Cambogia makes hugely popular is the fact that it is extracted from natural products and its visible results. It is very safe with proven results and one does not require a big alternation in the lifestyle, exercise regimes etc. Garcinia Cambogia is arguably the most popular and sought after remedies for weight loss.
Products of Garcinia Cambogia available with us are 100 % Pure & natural. They are properly tested and helps consumers in attaining desired body physique within the stipulated time. The studies to determine the effectiveness of Garcinia Cambogia were conducted back in 2004 and have been going on ever since. The results are very encouraging indeed. Doctor Oz, originator of the medicine, displayed the advantages and uses of it and within minutes, stores were out-of-stock for Garcinia Cambogia bottles. The very fact due to which the sale of this particular medicine increased at such a high rate bears a testimony to its effectiveness and popularity and the products is popular across all the segments of our population. If you are planning to purchase this product online do not struggle about looking for where to buy Garcinia Cambogia in INDIA. Feel free to visit our online store.
Common Benefits Of Consuming Garcinia Cambogia:
Garcinia Cambogia also known as Garcinia Gummi Atta is popular for its effectiveness, visible results and the plethora of benefits that it offers .Garcinia Cambogia has been proven to achieve visible and commendable results in reducing weight. It helps in combating weight gain issues without any diet loss as it suppresses the hunger naturally and a person taking this supplement feels fuller without a need to take follow up meals. Numerous researches and tests have been done in the laboratories all over the world establish this fact and above all it gives visible results in a very natural way without causing any major side-effects. It has no parallel when it comes to reducing weight naturally and with many other benefits that it offers, it commands the attention of weight loss seekers. As per numerous clinical studies and researches done by scientists and experienced doctors, Garcinia Cambogia weight loss supplements have proven out to be highly effective and totally safe. Its most promising benefits are listed below:
- Visible Results
- Proven effectiveness ( it is about three times more effective than other products when consumed for the same period of time)
- Weight loss is achieved in the most natural way. It is extracted from naturally occurring substances
- Faster weight loss
- No major side effects
- Boosts Immunity
- Reduces overall food-intake naturally by suppressing hunger
- Reduces bad Cholesterol, reducing heart risks thereof.
- Increases Good Cholesterol
- It also helps the brain to produce more amount of serotonin which is known to enhance mood levels to a considerable extent.
The aforementioned benefits are the reason behind the soaring popularity of the product.
Where to Buy to Garcinia Combogia in India?
A huge variety of Garcinia medicines are available online to fulfil the needs and demands of a varying range of customers.
I saw an ad for Garcinia Max and thought "what do I have to lose?" Well, I lost the pudge and a few dress sizes.
Wow Garcinia Cambogia is one of the most popular brand in india. For instance, Wow Garcinia Cambogia combined with a colon cleanse product, pure Garcinia Cambogia, 3 months medicinal packs, long term medicinal packs, special pack if you are already suffering from constipation or bloating and so on. We offer pure Garcinia Cambogia Extract that contains recommended amount of Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA). Just visit our website to find a plethora of Garcinia Cambogia products along with numerous combo packages to help you make your selection even better and profitable. We are dealing with the manufacturing and distribution of high quality and pure Garcinia Cambogia pills brand to the customers at an affordable and reasonable price. Several combination packs, such as, Detox combo and Garcinia Cambogia, are available to help the consumers in their struggle for weight loss. Why are you waiting then? Simply go and get a fresh pack of such an effectual weight loss pill right away.
PS: Since past more than 2 years, Wow Garcinia Cambogia is the best brand in India for Garcinia Cambogia weight loss pills. Not only it is the best seller on Amazon in its category but also delivers the best results. If you’re from India and looking for best weight loss pills, Wow Garcinia Cambogia is the answer.
Garcinia plant in india
Garcinia Cambogia: The Newest, Fastest Fat Burner?
If you’ve been trying to lose weight, you’ve most likely heard of garcinia cambogia – a fruit believed to hold the very key to healthy weight loss. If you’ve never considered using garcinia cambogia extract supplements for weight loss before, then it’s about time you should.
Garcinia cambogia is a tropical fruit found in the countries of Southeast Asia. People who live in the region have long used this incredible tiny fruit to make dishes more filling. Western scientists who encountered the fruit, decided to study its weight loss abilities and discovered that the rind contains massive amounts of HCA – which is short for Hydroxycitric Acid.
HCA is the very key ingredient why garcinia cambogia supplements are making a massive name in the weight loss industry today. HCA is known to suppress appetite and prevent your body from making fat tissues – leading to fast and effective weight loss done through the most natural and safest way possible.
Why Is Garcinia Cambogia So Popular?
In the world of natural weight loss solutions, no other name surpasses garcinia cambogia as the most recommended and most effective natural weight loss supplement in the market.
Garcinia cambogia came into national consciousness through the efforts of Dr. Oz – the most famous doctor on TV today. Immensely impressed by recent scientific research, he dubbed garcinia cambogia as the “holy grail” to beat weight gain.
Immediately after featuring the supplement in his show, tens of thousands of individuals around the country decided to use the supplement to combat excess weight and keep the weight away.
And because it’s 100% all-natural and truly effective in weight loss even without the help of diet and exercise, garcinia cambogia has become the best selling and most recommended natural weight loss supplement in the industry today.
How Garcinia Cambogia Extract Helps for Weight Loss
Garcinia cambogia supplements work through the mechanisms of HCA – the very key ingredient that makes the extract a powerful weight loss solution.
It somehow uses your own body’s chemicals to combat weight gain, giving you natural and healthy weight loss from the inside out.
HCA works through two main mechanisms: Suppression of Appetite and Fat Production Prevention.
1. Suppression of Appetite
One of the main reasons why people can’t seem to lose weight is because they can’t control what they eat, and the volume of food that they eat. It’s a sad fact that appetite is one of the hardest things to control.
HCA helps you lower your food consumption by making your body feel full even when you’ve only had little to eat. This means you get to say goodbye to cravings such as sweets and salty foods, say goodbye to emotional and binge eating and say hello to smaller portions each and every time.
HCA helps you eat only the amount of food that your body needs, and nothing more – helping you lose excess weight and maintain a healthy daily calorie intake.
2. Fat Production Prevention
Whenever you eat carbohydrates, your body converts them into energy. Now when you don’t use this energy, a certain enzyme named citrate lyase converts these carbohydrates into fat tissues – giving you not just weight gain, but nasty fat tissues that go to your stomach, arms, thighs, and all the other parts of the body that accumulate fat.
When you take HCA, this enzyme will no longer work. HCA inhibits citrate lyase and the entire process of fat production will no longer exist – giving you effective fat production prevention done in the most natural way possible.
Helping you ward off cravings and fat production, garcinia cambogia is an all-natural supplement giving your body natural methods to combat excess fat and weight.
Studies that Prove Garcinia Cambogia’s Effectiveness
Several studies on garcinia cambogia can be found at the website of the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health.
One of these studies was done by Downs, BW, Bagchi M, and others in November of 2005.
The study, entitled “ Bioefficacy of a novel calcium-potassium salt of HCA ,” proved that HCA, together with potassium and calcium, results to increased serotonin availability, reduced appetite, increased fat oxidation, increased blood lipid levels, reduced body weight, and the modulation of a number of obesity regulatory genes.
Another study was done on May 2004 – Preuss, HG, and others conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled human clinical study in Elluru, India over the period of 8 weeks. The subjects were 60 moderately-obese individuals aged 21 to 50 years old.
This group of people were divided into 3: Group 1 took HCA, Group 2 took niacin-bound HCA, and Group 3 took placebo pills.
At the end of the study, the researchers discovered that both Groups 1 and 2 had reduced body weight, reduced body mass index, reduced food intake, and reduced total cholesterol.
Preuss and others then concluded that optimal doses of HCA can serve as a potentially safe and effective weight loss formula that can facilitate effective reductions in both excess body weight and body mass index.
Does It Have Any Side Effects?
There have been reports of nausea and stomach upsets from actual users, but severe side effects have not occurred.
When you don’t have the time to hit the gym and prepare a balanced diet on a regular basis, losing weight can still be done.
The examples of those disorders are floating, gas, and constipation.
Users who do experience side effects may have used products that contained other ingredients aside from HCA and/or potassium and calcium.
Because garcinia cambogia is so popular, literally tens of thousands of garcinia cambogia products have popped up in the market. And because you don’t need to have a prescription to buy one, it’s so easy to purchase these supplements from just about anywhere and from anyone.
It’s very important that you equip yourself with the knowledge and qualifications of what a top quality and effective garcinia cambogia product is so you know you’re getting an authentic product that’s safe and most of all, effective.
Are Garcinia Cambogia Products Made the Same?
The answer to this is no. There are literally thousands of garcinia cambogia products out there but only a small number really do stand out in the market.
Dr. Oz emphasized the importance of certain requirements of a top quality garcinia cambogia supplement. When you look for a product, the following qualifications are a definite must:
- The product must contain at least 50% pure HCA concentration
- It must have the label “HCA” or “Garcinia Cambogia” on the bottle
- It must contain 100% all natural ingredients
- Each capsule must have at least 500mg of dosage
- The product must be made in FDA-registered and GMP-certified laboratories
If a certain garcinia cambogia brand adheres to these requirements, then you know you have a top quality product that’s safe, healthy, and truly effective.
Where to Buy Garcinia Cambogia
The supplements we recommend here are available through retail stores or exclusively online. One of our bestselling and top recommended products is Garcinia Cambogia Extra , satisfying thousands of users!
Meeting all these qualifications is Garcinia Cambogia Extra – is made in FDA registered and cGMP-certified laboratories, ensuring you that each and every capsule satisfies the manufacturing, testing, and quality assurance of Good Manufacturing Practices.
With 60% HCA in every dosage, Garcinia Cambogia Extra is one the top garcinia cambogia product to try today.
They are only available through their official website, so head to Garcinia Cambogia Extra and choose from these 3 packages:
Worldwide Shipping Available!
- Order 1 bottle (1 Month Supply) for $49.95! Lose up to 10 lbs
- Order 2 bottles and get 1 bottle FREE($33.00 each, $99.95 total)! Lose up to 20 lbs
- Garcinia Cambogia Extra’s BEST SELLING PACKAGE. Order 3 bottles and get 2 bottles FREE ($29.00 each, $149.95 total)! Lose up to 30 lbs
ALL ORDERS come with 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! Garcinia cambogia is a dosage-based supplement, which means the more you use, the more weight you’ll lose. Choose from these 3 package options and start your weight loss journey today.
Garcinia (hydroxycitric acid)
Scientific Name(s): Garcinia cambogia (Gaertn.) Desr. Family: Clusiaceae (Guttiferae)
Common Name(s): Malabar tamarind , hydroxycitric acid ( HCA )
The medical literature primarily documents weight loss and lipid-lowering activity for the plant. However, trials supporting its use are limited.
The dosages of G. cambogia extract in clinical trials ranged from 1,500 to 4,667 mg/day (25 to 78 mg/kg/day). The equivalent hydroxycitric acid (HCA) dose in the trials ranged from 900 to 2,800 mg/day (15 to 47 mg/kg/day). G. cambogia is available in capsule or tablet form with a maximum dose of 1,500 mg/day.
Avoid use if there is a known allergy or hypersensitivity to any components of G. cambogia .
Information regarding safety and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking.
The herb has documented drug interactions.
At least 15 clinical studies involving approximately 900 patients document very mild adverse reactions. Most adverse reactions included headache, dizziness, dry mouth, and GI complaints such as nausea and diarrhea.
Toxicology studies resulted in no toxicity or deaths in animals at dosages of HCA 5,000 mg/kg, equivalent to 350 g or 233 times the maximum dosage of 1.5 g/day of HCA. In patients taking certain combination weight-loss supplements containing G. cambogia , severe or even fatal hepatotoxicity may occur.
The genus Garcinia is mainly distributed in tropical regions and includes approximately 200 species. G. cambogia belongs to the family Guttiferae and is found in India, Malaysia, and Africa. G. cambogia is commonly found in evergreen or semievergreen forests of southwest India, where 36 other species have been documented. 1 , 2 The plant species has variability in its branching pattern, fruit color, shape, and size. 1 The tree is small-to-medium in size with drooping branches. The leaves are dark green and glossy, oval-shaped with a narrow end, 5 to 12 cm in length, and 2 to 7 cm around. The tree is tolerant to drought and flowers during the hot season. The yellow, orange, or red fruit ripens during the rainy season and contains HCA. It is ovoid in shape, 5 centimeters around, has 6 to 8 seeds, and is listed in the US Department of Agriculture inventory of perennial edible fruits. 2
Dried fruit rinds have been used extensively for centuries throughout Southeast Asia for culinary purposes as a condiment and flavoring agent in place of tamarind or lemon. Additional culinary uses include the flavoring of curries, meat, and seafood. The fruit extract has been used as a flavoring agent for beverages and gourmet spices, as well as a carminative, thereby helping to prevent the formation of gas in the GI tract after a meal. HCA and other organic acids from the dried rind combined with salt help lower pH and provide a bacteriostatic effect used in curing fish. The herb is considered beneficial for overall health in the traditional Ayurvedic medical system. Rheumatism and bowel complaints are treated with a decoction of the fruit rind. A rinse is used from the herbal extract in veterinary medicine for some diseases of the mouth in cattle. HCA has also become popular as an ingredient for weight loss. 2 , 3 , 4
HCA is the primary medicinal component contained in the fruit rinds of G. cambogia . 5 HCA is present as up to 30% by weight in the pericarp of G.
The research concluded by stating that treatment “was found to have no effect on body weight, fat pad weight, or serum glucose level.” However, Garcinia cambogia was shown to have other physiological effects.
cambogia fruit. 6 Xanthones, xanthone derivatives, and polyisoprenylated benzophenones have been isolated. 6 , 7 Some salts used in commercial products are water soluble and bioavailable, and are a good source of calcium (495 mg) and potassium (720 mg). 8 Studies also document interest in production of HCA by using microorganisms. 9 , 10
Uses and Pharmacology
The medical literature primarily documents research on the weight loss and lipid-lowering activity of the plant.
In vitro and animal data
In 2 experiments using the human hepatoma cell line HepG2, overnight exposure to G. cambogia extract caused an upregulation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) receptor activity and an upregulation of the level of HMG-CoA reductase resulting in decreased cholesterol synthesis. 11 Flavonoids from the plant reduced lipid levels in normal and hypercholesterolemic rats. 7 Reductions were also documented in triglycerides, phospholipids, and free fatty acids. The mechanism of action for the flavonoids may involve: (1) reducing the rate of lipogenesis by reducing the activities of lipogenic enzymes, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, and isocitrate dehydrogenase; and (2) increasing the rate of degradation of cholesterol leading to higher levels of hepatic and fecal bile acids, as well as neutral sterols in rats treated with the herb. While dexamethasone typically elevates lipid profiles, G. cambogia extract maintained normal lipid levels in rats administered dexamethasone. 12
In a 4-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, 150 obese patients were treated with a dietary supplement ( G. cambogia extract 55 mg, chitosan 240 mg, and chrome 19 mg) together with a weight reduction regimen. Treatment groups administered the dietary supplement showed statistically significant dose-related reductions in weight, total and LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides, and improvement in high density lipoprotein cholesterol. 13
The suggested mechanism of action involves HCA-inhibiting lipogenesis, increasing lipid oxidation, and reducing food intake. 3 , 14
A study in obese rats found high doses of HCA-containing G. cambogia (154 mmol HCA/kg diet) effective in suppressing epididymal adipose tissue. This same study also found testicular atrophy and toxicity at dosages of 778 mg HCA/kg body weight/day (102 mmol HCA/kg diet) and higher. 4 Another study in rats administered a high-fat diet and a mixture of G. cambogia extract, soypeptide, and L-carnitine, led to a reduction in body weight and accumulation of visceral fat mass. 15 The mixture also improved blood and hepatic lipid concentrations or the induced dyslipidemia in the rats. Other combination products with G. cambogia are also effective in reducing weight gain and improving dyslipidemia, hyperinsulinemia, hyperleptinemia, and fatty liver in mice. 16 The antiobesity effect involves modulation of several genes associated with visceral adipogenesis. One study in adult, nonobese cats found no effect on fat-free mass or energy expenditure. 17
In an 8-week randomized clinical trial, 40 patients were given either placebo or G. cambogia extract (500 mg/capsule) by mouth before each meal. Patients administered the extract exhibited weight loss and improvement in cholesterol and triglycerides when compared with the placebo group. 2
In a 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 40 obese patients were treated with a combination supplement containing G. cambogia 50 mg as well as a 1,200 calorie diet per day. Two tablets of the supplement were taken by mouth 3 times a day after meals. The treatment group attained a 3.5 kg weight loss versus 1.2 kg on placebo, and a more than 85% reduction in fat loss in body composition measurements. The majority of the active group participants did not follow the diet regimen. 18
In a 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group trial, 89 mildly overweight women were treated with a 1,200 kcal diet along with 2 caplets of G. cambogia 400 mg or matched placebo 3 times a day before each meal. At the end of the trial, both groups lost weight, but the treatment group achieved greater reduction in body weight. G. cambogia had no effect on appetitive variables. 14
Numerous studies document the safety profile of the calcium-potassium double salt of 60% HCA preparation (HCA-SX), as well as its bioavailability and efficacy in helping patients attain a healthy body weight. 3 , 19 , 20 , 21 , 22 , 23
An 8-week, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study examined the efficacy of HCA-SX in 54 overweight patients. The treatment group was administered a combination supplement containing G. cambogia 500 mg 3 times a day while the control group received the placebo. All patients were asked to maintain a low-fat diet and drink 64 oz of water per day. The treatment group lost an average weight of 11.14 lb/person as compared with the control group, which lost an average of 4.2 lb/person. 19
Another 8-week, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study examined the efficacy of HCA in 60 obese patients. The dosage regimen for HCA was 400 mg 3 times a day before each meal. All patients were on a low-fat diet and also instructed to exercise 3 times a week. Results indicated weight loss for the experimental group compared with the placebo group and that 87% of the weight loss in the HCA group was because of fat loss. Appetite scores were also reduced in the HCA-treated group. 19
Visceral, subcutaneous, and total fat accumulation were reduced in 39 patients over 16 weeks in a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. The dosage regimen included HCA 1,000 mg/day versus placebo. At the end of the treatment, both groups were administered placebo for 4 weeks and no rebound effect was documented. 24
Another clinical study documented that treatment with HCA failed to produce weight change and fat mass change in patients. 25 However, the design of the clinical trial, the lack of bioavailability, and dosage of HCA used have been criticized. 2
Other pharmacologic activity
Some studies found that supplementation with G. cambogia can reduce oxidative damage. 26
The fruit contains xanthones, which inhibit pre-neoplastic lesions in mammary and colon cancer. The xanthones may also induce apoptosis in mouth, leukemia, breast, gastric, and lung cancer cell lines in vitro. 27
Glucose metabolism may be improved by lowering serum insulin levels in mice treated with G. cambogia . Leptin is a hormone associated with appetite control. G. cambogia may have leptin-like activity as mice treated with G. cambogia had decreased serum leptin levels and a reduced leptin/white adipose tissue ratio. 28 HCA treatment delayed and reduced intestinal glucose absorption in rats; the treatment causes delayed intestinal absorption of glucose rather than delayed gastric emptying.
Hij haalde, samen met zijn mede-presentatrice Oprah Winfrey, allemaal specialisten naar de studio om te vertellen hoe geweldig dit supplement wel niet was.
HCA promoted lipid oxidation and reduced carbohydrate use in mice at rest and during running. 30 The utilization of respiratory gases was reduced for mice treated with HCA at rest and during exercise. Some studies on herbal coffee supplements with HCA showed an increase in resting energy expenditure to enhance metabolic rates and promote weight and fat loss. 31 , 32
Antiulcer activity was observed against induced gastric mucosal injury in rats with pretreatment of G. cambogia extract that decreased volume and acidity of gastric juice. 33 A similar study in rats found activity against indomethacin-induced gastric ulcers. 34 The anti-inflammatory activity of G. cambogia protected against induced colitis in rats. 35
Red blood cell count
A G. cambogia extract caused an increase in the red blood cell (RBC) count in rat tissue. The activity may be (1) associated with the iron in G. cambogia , as iron is an erythropoietic agent; (2) antioxidant activity and may decrease the rate of oxidant-induced hemolysis, which increases the life span of the RBC; or (3) the content of bioflavonoids in the plant, which may increase the level of peripheral testosterone, which can stimulate erythropoiesis in humans. 36
The dosages of G. cambogia extract in clinical trials ranged from 1,500 to 4,667 mg/day (25 to 78 mg/kg/day). The equivalent HCA dose in the trials ranged from 900 to 2,800 mg/day (15 to 47 mg/kg/day). 2 , 14 , 18 , 19 , 23 , 24 , 25 G. cambogia is available in capsule or tablet form with a maximum dose of 1,500 mg/day.
Due to lack of clinical and scientific information, use should be avoided during pregnancy and lactation. One animal study in rats documented decreased maternal body weight gain during gestation. 37
In patients taking medications for diabetes by mouth or insulin, G. cambogia may lower blood sugar levels. 28 , 29
G. cambogia contains iron and thus may have additive adverse reactions for patients taking medications for anemia. 36
Potassium and calcium supplements
Some commercial G. cambogia products contain adequate amounts of potassium and calcium. 8 Caution is advised for patients taking medications for heart disease, high blood pressure, or arrhythmia while supplementing with any product containing this herb.
A mouse study using a commercial polyherbal product containing G. cambogia found a potential serotonergic effect on food intake. Caution is advised for patients being treated for pain or taking medications for any psychiatric condition. 38
Singulair (or leukotriene receptor antagonists)
One case report documented fatal liver failure in a patient taking Singulair and 2 dietary supplements, one of which included G. cambogia and citrus derivatives. 39
A case report of rhabdomyolysisis is documented in a patient taking a combination herbal medicine containing G. cambogia . 40
In one case report, the international normalized ratio of a patient returned to normal after he stopped taking a combination herbal product containing G. cambogia . 41
A total of 15 clinical studies involving approximately 900 patients documented very mild adverse reactions. Most adverse reactions included headache, dizziness, dry mouth, and GI complaints such as nausea and diarrhea. 2 , 42
Toxicology studies resulted in no toxicity or deaths in animals at HCA dosages of 5,000 mg/kg, equivalent to 350 g or 233 times the maximum dose of 1.5 g/day of HCA. 5 In patients taking certain combination weight-loss supplements containing G. cambogia , severe or even fatal hepatotoxicity may occur. 43 , 44 Some animal studies document testicular toxicity, 4 , 45 while other studies do not. 46 , 47
No unusual electrocardiographic effects (QTc interval or other electrocardiograph variables) were seen over 5 hours in patients taking half the recommended dose of a multicomponent weight loss supplement containing G. cambogia . 48 Patients receiving G. cambogia extract (1,667.3 mg/kg equivalent to 1,000 mg HCA/day) for 12 weeks exhibited no reproductive toxicity on serum testosterone, estrone, and estradiol levels. 49
2. Soni MG, Burdock GA, Preuss HG, Stohs SJ, Ohia SE, Bagchi D. Safety assessment of (-)-hydroxycitric acid and Super CitriMax, a novel calcium/potassium salt. Food Chem Toxicol . 2004;42(9):1513-1529.
3. Ohia SE, Opere CA, LeDay AM, Bagchi M, Bagchi D, Stohs SJ. Safety and mechanism of appetite suppression by a novel hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX). Mol Cell Biochem . 2002;238(1-2):89-103.
4. Saito M, Ueno M, Ogino S, Kubo K, Nagata J, Takeuchi M. High dose of Garcinia cambogia is effective in suppressing fat accumulation in developing male Zucker obese rats, but highly toxic to the testis. Food Chem Toxicol . 2005;43(3):411-419.
5. Jena BS, Jayaprakasha GK, Singh RP, Sakariah KK. Chemistry and biochemistry of (-)-hydroxycitric acid from Garcinia . J Agric Food Chem . 2002;50(1):10-22.
6. Masullo M, Bassarello C, Suzuki H, Pizza C, Piacente S. Polyisoprenylated benzophenones and an unusual polyisoprenylated tetracyclic xanthone from the fruits of Garcinia cambogia . J Agric Food Chem . 2008;56(13):5205-5210.
7. Koshy AS, Anila L, Vijayalakshmi NR. Flavonoids from Garcinia cambogia lower lipid levels in hypercholesterolemic rats. Food Chem . 2001;72(3):289-294.
8. Downs BW, Bagchi M, Subbaraju GV, Shara MA, Preuss HG, Bagchi D. Bioefficacy of a novel calcium-potassium salt of (-)-hydroxycitric acid. Mutat Res . 2005;579(1-2):149-162.
9. Hida H, Yamada T, Yamada Y. Production of hydroxycitric acid by microorganisms. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem . 2005;69(8):1555-1561.
10. Yamada T, Hida H, Yamada Y. Chemistry, physiological properties, and microbial production of hydroxycitric acid. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol . 2007;75(5):977-982.
11. Berkhout TA, Havekes LM, Pearce NJ, Groot PH. The effect of (-)-hydroxycitrate on the activity of the low-density-lipoprotein receptor and 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase levels in the human hepatoma cell line Hep G2. Biochem J . 1990;272(1):181-186.
12. Mahendran P, Devi CS. Effect of Garcinia cambogia extract on lipids and lipoprotein composition in dexamethasone administered rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol . 2001;45(3):345-350.
13. Girola M, De Bernardi M, Contos S, et al. Dose effect in lipid-lowering activity of a new dietary integrator (chitosan), Garcinia combogia extract and chrome. Acta Toxicol Ther . 1996;17(1):25-40.
14. Mattes RD, Bormann L. Effects of (-)-hydroxycitric acid on appetitive variables. Physiol Behav . 2000;71(1-2):87-94.
Most adverse reactions included headache, dizziness, dry mouth, and GI complaints such as nausea and diarrhea.
Kim YJ, Kim KY, Kim MS, Lee JH, Lee KP, Park T. A mixture of the aqueous extract of Garcinia cambogia , soy peptide and L: -carnitine reduces the accumulation of visceral fat mass in rats rendered obese by a high fat diet. Genes Nutr . 2008;2(4):353-358.
16. Kim KY, Lee HN, Kim YJ, Park T. Garcinia cambogia extract ameliorates visceral adiposity in C57BL/6J mice fed on a high-fat diet. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem . 2008;72(7):1772-1780.
17. Leray V, Dumon H, Martin L, et al. No effect of conjugated linoleic acid or Garcinia cambogia on fat-free mass, and energy expenditure in normal cats. J Nutr . 2006;136(suppl 7):1982S-1984S.
18. Thom E. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of a new weight-reducing agent of natural origin. J Int Med Res . 2000;28(5):229-233.
19. Lau FC, Bagchi M, Sen C, Roy S, Bagchi D. Nutrigenomic analysis of diet-gene interactions on functional supplements for weight management. Curr Genomics . 2008;9(4):239-251.
20. Talpur N, Echard BW, Yasmin T, Bagchi D, Preuss HG. Effects of niacin-bound chromium, Maitake mushroom fraction SX and (-)-hydroxycitric acid on the metabolic syndrome in aged diabetic Zucker fatty rats. Mol Cell Biochem . 2003;252(1-2):369-377.
21. Bagchi D, Deshmukh NS, Soni MG, Bagchi M. Safety of a novel calcium/potassium salt of (-)-hydroxycitric acid: I. Two generation reproduction toxicity study. Toxicol Lett . 2007;172(suppl 1):S190.
22. Asghar M, Monjok E, Kouamou G, Ohia SE, Bagchi D, Lokhandwala MF. Super CitriMax (HCA-SX) attenuates increases in oxidative stress, inflammation, insulin resistance, and body weight in developing obese Zucker rats. Mol Cell Biochem . 2007;304(1-2):93-99.
23. Preuss HG, Rao CV, Garis R, et al. An overview of the safety and efficacy of a novel, natural(-)-hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX) for weight management. J Med . 2004;35(1-6):33-48.
24. Hayamizu K, Ishii Y, Kaneko I, et al. Effects of Garcinia cambogia (hydroxycitric acid) on visceral fat accumulation: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. CurrTher Res Clin Exp . 2003;64(8):551-567.
25. Heymsfield SB, Allison DB, Vasselli JR, Pietrobelli A, Greenfield D, Nunez C. Garcinia cambogia (hydroxycitric acid) as a potential antiobesity agent: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA . 1998;280(18):1596-1600.
26. Yonei Y, Takahashi Y, Hibino S, Watanabe M, Yoshioka T. Effects on the human body of a dietary supplement containing L-carnitine and Garcinia cambogia extract: a study using double-blind tests. J Clin Biochem Nutr . 2008;42(2):89-103.
27. Mazzio EA, Soliman KF. In vitro screening for the tumoricidal properties of international medicinal herbs. Phytother Res . 2009;23(3):385-398.
28. Hayamizu K, Hirakawa H, Oikawa D, et al. Effect of Garcinia cambogia extract on serum leptin and insulin in mice. Fitoterapia . 2003;74(3):267-273.
29. Wielinga PY, Wachters-Hagedoorn RE, Bouter B, et al. Hydroxycitric acid delays intestinal glucose absorption in rats. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol . 2005;288(6):G1144-G1149.
30. Ishihara K, Oyaizu S, Onuki K, Lim K, Fushiki T. Chronic (-)-hydroxycitrate administration spares carbohydrate utilization and promotes lipid oxidation during exercise in mice. J Nutr . 2000;130(12):2990-2995.
31. Hoffman JR, Kang J, Ratamess NA, Jennings PF, Mangine G, Faigenbaum AD. Thermogenic effect from nutritionally enriched coffee consumption. J Int Soc Sports Nutr . 2006;3:35-41.
32. Taylor LW, Wilborn CD, Harvey T, Wismann J, Willoughby DS. Acute effects of ingesting Java Fittrade mark energy extreme functional coffee on resting energy expenditure and hemodynamic responses in male and female coffee drinkers. J Int Soc Sports Nutr . 2007;4:10.
33. Mahendran P, Sabitha KE, Devi CS. Prevention of HCl-ethanol induced gastric mucosal injury in rats by Garcinia cambogia extract and its possible mechanism of action. Indian J Exp Biol . 2002;40(1):58-62.
34. Mahendran P, Vanisree AJ, Shyamala Devi CS. The antiulcer activity of Garcinia cambogia extract against indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in rats. Phytother Res . 2002;16(1):80-83.
35. dos Reis SB, de Oliveira CC, Acedo SC, et al. Attenuation of colitis injury in rats using Garcinia cambogia extract. Phytother Res . 2009;23(3):324-329.
36. Oluyemi KA, Omotuyi IO, Jimoh OR, Adesanya OA, Saalu CL, Josiah SJ. Erythropoietic and anti-obesity effects of Garcinia cambogia (bitter kola) in Wistar rats. Biotechnol Appl Biochem . 2007;46(pt 1):69-72.
37. Deshmukh NS, Bagchi M, Yasmin T, Bagchi D. Safety of a novel calcium/potassium salt of (-) hydroxycitric acid (HCA-SX): II. Developmental toxicity study in rats. Toxicol Mech Methods . 2008;18(5):443-451.
38. Kaur G, Kulkarni SK. Investigations on possible serotonergic involvement in effects of OB-200G (polyherbal preparation) on food intake in female mice. Eur J Nutr . 2001;40(3):127-133.
39. Actis GC, Bugianesi E, Ottobrelli A, Rizzetto M. Fatal liver failure following food supplements during chronic treatment with montelukast. Dig Liver Dis . 2007;39(10):953-955.
40. Mansi IA, Huang J. Rhabdomyolysis in response to weight-loss herbal medicine. [Published correction appears in: Am J Med Sci . 2004;328(2):129.] Am J Med Sci . 2004;327(6):356-357.
41. Ferris DJ. Interaction between warfarin and Garcinia cambogia (Fat Burner); a case report. ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting . 38(DEC): p P-404(D). 2003.
42. Pittler MH, Schmidt K, Ernst E. Adverse events of herbal food supplements for body weight reduction: systematic review. Obes Rev . 2005;6(2):93-111.
43. Shim M, Saab S. Severe hepatotoxicity due to Hydroxycut: a case report. Dig Dis Sci . 2009;54(2):406-408.
44. Lobb A. Hepatoxicity associated with weight-loss supplements: a case for better post-marketing surveillance. World J Gastroenterol . 2009;15(14):1786-1787.
45. Anno T, Oono H, Tamura K. Improvement of testicular toxicity in F/344DuCrj male rats fed Ca-type Garcinia cambogia extract by zinc supplemented diets. Nippon Shokuhin Kagaku Gakkaishi . 2005;12(3):121-127.
46. Shara M, Ohia SE, Yasmin T, et al. Dose- and time-dependent effects of a novel (-)-hydroxycitric acid extract on body weight, hepatic and testicular lipid peroxidation, DNA fragmentation and histopathological data over a period of 90 days. Mol Cell Biochem . 2003;254(1-2):339-346.
47. Burdock G, Soni M, Bagchi M, Bagchi D. Garcinia cambogia toxicity is misleading. [Published correction appears in: Food Chem Toxicol . 2007;45(3):515.] Food Chem Toxicol . 2005;43(11):1683-1684; author reply 1685-1686.
48. Min B, McBride BF, Kardas MJ, et al. Electrocardiographic effects of an ephedra-free, multicomponent weight-loss supplement in healthy volunteers.