What is good garcinia cambogia
Special Precautions & Warnings: GARCINIA Interactions We currently have no information for GARCINIA Interactions GARCINIA Dosing The appropriate dose of garcinia depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions.
Garcinia Cambogia: Safe for Weight Loss?
In this Article
In this Article
In this Article
Garcinia cambogia, a tropical fruit also known as the Malabar tamarind, is a popular weight-loss supplement. People say it blocks your body's ability to make fat and it puts the brakes on your appetite. It could help keep blood sugar and cholesterol levels in check, too. You'll find it in bottles on the shelf at the store as well as mixed with other ingredients in diet products.
Does it live up to its hype? Maybe a little, but it might not be worth it.
How It Works
The active ingredient in the fruit's rind, hydroxycitric acid, or HCA, has boosted fat-burning and cut back appetite in studies. It appears to block an enzyme called citrate lyase, which your body uses to make fat. It also raises levels of the brain chemical serotonin, which may make you feel less hungry.
But actual weight loss results aren't impressive. A review published in the Journal of Obesityfound that people who took garcinia cambogia in studies lost about 2 pounds more than people who didn't take it. The reviewers couldn't say for sure that the weight loss was because of the supplement. It could have been from the lower-calorie diet and exercise programs the people in the studies typically followed. Better studies are needed to find out if HCA really helps people lose a lot of weight and keep it off.
Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol
Garcinia cambogia may make it easier for your body to use glucose, the sugar your cells need for energy. Mice that got garcinia cambogia in one study had lower insulin levels than mice that didn't. That's another reason, besides weight loss, that people with diabetes are interested in it. However, if you're taking garcinia cambogia along with a medication to control your blood sugar, your glucose could get dangerously low.
Some research has found that garcinia cambogia can also improve cholesterol levels, lowering triglycerides and LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) and raising HDL (the "good" cholesterol). But you shouldn't use it if you're already on a prescription for your cholesterol.
Possible Side Effects
When you take garcinia cambogia, you might get:
In 2009, the Food and Drug Administration warned everyone to stop using a weight-loss product that contained garcinia cambogia because some people taking it got serious liver problems. The product had other ingredients, too, so it's not clear that garcinia cambogia was to blame. While some research suggests the supplement is safe for your liver, other research says no.
Garcinia cambogia may interact badly with:
You definitely don't want to use it when you're pregnant or nursing, or if you have kidney or liver problems. It is possible that manic symptoms may emerge as a side effect.
To Buy or Not to Buy
Since study results are mixed, you should talk with your doctor to help you decide if taking garcinia cambogia is a good idea. Even if it's safe, it may not help you lose much weight. It's probably wiser to spend your money on healthy food or an exercise DVD.
Onakpoya, I. Journal of Obesity, 2011.
NYU Langone Medical Center: "Weight Loss Aids."
Byrne, S. Consumer Reports, March 24, 2014.
Wielinga, P.Y. American Journal of Physiology, June 1, 2005.
Leonhardt, M. Nutrition, October 2004.
Hayamizu, K. Fitoterapia, April 2003.
Preuss, H. Nutrition Research, January 2004.
Preuss, H. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, May 2004.
Preuss, H. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Research, February 2005.
Drugs.com: "Garcinia (hydroxycitric acid)."
Kim, Y. World Journal of Gastroenterology, Aug. 7, 2013.
Stohs, S. Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods, November 2010.
Clouatre, D. World Journal of Gastroenterology, Nov. 28, 2013.
Marquez, F. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, Issue 7, 2012.
Medscape: "Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists."
wiseGEEK: What is Garcinia Cambogia?
Garcinia cambogia is a small fruit that resembles a miniature pumpkin. It is indigenous to India and parts of Asia, and an extract from its fruit and rind is popular in many natural weight loss products. The extract is hydroxycitric acid (HCA), claimed to suppress appetite and enhance fat-burning. Animal research supports these claims, but subsequent human trials have been equivocal.
The theory behind garcinia cambogia is that HCA inhibits an enzyme called citrate lyase that helps turns excess carbohydrates into fat. By inhibiting this enzyme, it is believed the body instead boosts carbohydrate oxidation, or simply put, burns the extra carbs. In extensive animal studies, garcinia cambogia was found to reduce food intake by suppressing appetite, as well as to decrease body fat. Human trials have been less clear. While some double-blind studies using garcinia cambogia and a placebo showed the HCA group as doubling or tripling weight loss over a 12-week period as compared to the control group, other studies showed a less promising result.
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published such a study that used a daily dose of 1500mg of HCA over a 12-week period on healthy, overweight adults. At the end of the study, the group receiving garcinia cambogia did not see statistically different weight loss from the control group. However, this study has been criticized by some, with the claim that the high-fiber diet used in the trial likely interfered with the body’s ability to absorb HCA. Unfortunately, the study did not test the subjects to see whether HCA was found in the cells where it becomes active.
Garcinia cambogia reportedly does not have any known adverse effects in healthy adults, but there are some people who are advised not to take it. According to experts, this includes children, pregnant and lactating women, those diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, and people with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia disease. In the case of Alzheimer’s patients, it is thought HCA might form acetylcholine in the brain, while diabetics could be affected by HCA’s tendency to lower blood sugar. Conversely, in healthy adults this latter effect can purportedly curb cravings for sweets and carbohydrates.
Garcinia cambogia is usually sold in capsule form, standardized to include a percentage of HCA, the active ingredient. Only brands standardized to 50% or greater HCA are generally recommended. For maximum effect, the daily dose is divided in three parts, taking one or more capsules 30-60 minutes before breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Some manufacturers claim garcinia cambogia must build up in the system before the full benefits can be realized. It has also been suggested that HCA might help people who have already attained their ideal weight to maintain it. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not regulate garcinia cambogia. People who are considering augmenting a healthy diet and exercise regimen with herbal aids like HCA should see their physicians for personalized advice.
142) I have been using it for a little over two months now. I have so far lost 5kgs. not a vast amount I know but a good start!
141) I have been taking GC for six months from a company called Power Up Garcinia Cambogia. It is a proprietary blend 400 mg. Other ingredients in the capsule are gelatin, calcium and magnesium. It was offered on the internet and I ordered it.
I've had no side effects whatsoever and it has definitely curbed my appetite. There has been no radical weight loss, but it has kept me at my normal healthy weight of 135 which has previously been impossible for me to do. I'm a believer so I will carry on. I feel so bad for all these others who are experiencing such dreadful side effects. Maybe it's from something else they are doing?
140) Don't use it - it gave me chronic back pain and abdominal cramps. I lost a few pounds but the pain and harm to my body were not worth it!
139) I bought the 100 percent Pure Garcinia Cambogia from the US. I am on day four of taking this supplement taking two 1000mg tablets one hour before breakfast and then again before tea. I have had no real side effects from these tablets except for sore back muscles, which usually kick in about one hour after taking the evening tablet. I have had ho headaches (am a chronic headache sufferer) no pains in the stomach or any concerns of constipation or sleep issues. I will continue to take these tablets as I have lost 1.5kgs in this short period of time but monitor the back pain.
138) Finally! A site that has some real reviews, and not just listing a bunch of "accredited" information nestled between links to purchase.
137) Most of these post are made by people who couldn't lose weight! I am sure of that! It works if you flow and do it right. On the other hand, there's nothing like doing it the natural way.
136) I think this site is a bit absurd. If you have a medical illness, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you that you need to consult your doctor before trying something. If you do the research (in medical journals which you can access at pubmed, you will see multiple studies done on the supplement with and without the potassium and calcium and chromium.
I would stay away from the ones containing these additives, since calcium supplements can cause stomach cramping and bloating or diarrhea. Potassium is a needed electrolyte, but you get this from vegetables and fruit. Too much potassium can affect your heart, so if you take a multivitamin with it, you may be taking too much, but if taken properly you should be fine.
Again, research each ingredient before you purchase the product and your best bet is to get the GC which contains 50-60 percent of the HCA, with no added stimulants such as ginseng or caffeine (which some brands contain). Research what you're putting into your body and talk to your doctor.
If you’ve never considered using garcinia cambogia extract supplements for weight loss before, then it’s about time you should.
And you need to drink a lot of water with this supplement and your headaches will likely improve.
The product won't work if you eat high fat foods and fast food. You need to improve your diet and eat fresh fruits and veggies and stay away from simple carbohydrates such as white bread and pasta.
I do not endorse or promote any product. I am a doctor telling you, begging you to do your research. Look at the actual scientific data available and not these forums where you don't know who's putting up fake posts or not.
135) I've been on Garcinia Cambogia for about three weeks now and a week ago, my eyes started twitching sporadically. This has gone on for a week. After reading some of the side effects of this product, I think I'm going to stop for now. Hopefully my eye spasms go away.
I took an all natural extract, 50 percent HCA, and it had potassium and calcium in the supplement to help better absorb it.
132) Since I have been using GC, I get terrible headaches and feel hungry almost like I never had a meal the whole day. I'm going to stop this. I can't put my health at so much risk. I thought this was a great product.
131) Are the people with bad side effects taking an organic version? If not, maybe look into that. I have bought this and am yet to start on it, but I do believe that if it is a natural substance that has been used for years in some countries then it can't be the garcinia cambogia giving the bad side effects. Also, most weight loss products will cause diarrhea. That would be your body cleansing itself, but I'm not an expert.
130) I took this product three times a day for almost one month. I suffered a severe cutaneous reaction, leaving me with horrific pain, welts and itching all over my body. I had to go on oral steroids, in addition to a topical cream. I have now been off it for one week, and I have muscle swelling in my wrists and calf so bad I cannot bear weight and lack strength.
I thought I would be slowly feeling better, but that is not the case. Clearly, this poison takes a long time to clear from the body. I have no info on the half life. Very frightening.
129) To all you pregnant and breastfeeding mothers: Read these comments and side effects. Do you want to risk the life of your child? No, you are not supposed to take this drug while breastfeeding or pregnant! Seriously, people, do some research from a reliable source! Ask your doctor, or look on the bottle where it tells you not to do it if you're pregnant or breastfeeding! Asking advice on this board and basing your child's life on it, are you out of your minds?
Most important of all, don't be selfish! If you want to take this crap, wait and formula feed your child after it's born so you can take it. Do not breastfeed! Be careful with this.
128) I took one pill and in half an hour, I felt horrible! I had a splitting headache, nausea and weak legs. I barely made it through the day at work. I do have headaches occasionally but with the other symptoms I thought I must be getting the flu, but I had a flu shot so that didn't seem likely.
I felt better by evening so I didn't take another pill. Everything was gone by the next morning except a little residual headache. So I don't think the GC was connected to the headache, but the rest could be. I'm concerned enough that I'm throwing the stuff away. Granted, I probably could lose weight taking it, but only because I felt so awful I couldn't eat all day.
127) I have stopped taking Garcinia Cambogia after four days due to the following side effects I had:
Restless sleep. I couldn't sleep, and would lie awake every 1-2 hours and then drift off for half hour. I take 1/2 sleeping pill one night and only got 3 hour block of sleep.
2. Constipated/diarrhea. From day two onwards, I didn’t have any proper bowel movements, only some small watery movements.
Heart rate changes. It felt like my heart rate had increased. While I didn’t check my pulse timing or blood pressure, I could tell something wasn’t quite right.
No weight loss. I have been eating healthy portion sizes at regular intervals and been exercising. In fact I was actually .2kg heavier on day four (could be due to no bowel movements though).
5. Headaches. I had bad headaches, and day five (this morning) is by far the worst. The pain is right in the temples that radiates around the forehead.
Nerve pain behind knees. I sometimes get this, but take a magnesium pill and it sorts the yucky feeling out. When I took the magnesium it did nothing and I kept having to shift my legs around.
I do not recommend this product or any slimming aids. Healthy eating and exercise is the way to go.
126) Anyone else have chronic constipation? I started on Sunday and had diarrhea. It is now Wednesday night and I have not had another bowel movement. Also I have a headache, on both sides of the head, not the normal frontal sinus area where I usually get them. Should I stop taking this or persevere? I am worried and curious.
125) I bought the live skinny garcina cambogia and was taking two pills a day. I had a doctor's appointment for a check up and he flipped out and made me take an EKG. My heart rate was 142 then 60. It was crazy. He told me to quit taking the garcina cambogia immediately, and now my heart rate has returned to normal. So, for those people that say it's not true, it affected me this way. Be careful. I am 53, and don't smoke or drink.
124) I have been taking Garcinia Cambogia for three days. I take two pills a day which equals 1000mg. I take one 20-40 mins before lunch, one 20-40 mins before dinner. The first night my bowels cleaned themselves out and I felt better afterwards. On the third day, I got a headache and my eyes were bloodshot and I had minor muscle cramps in my legs. However, after reading up, I found out these are just signs that the body is detoxifying, as the toxins in the body are released into the blood and should stop soon.
I also have colon cleanse which I will take once or twice a week to help get rid of toxins, and drink plenty of water. In regards to weight loss, my belly feels flatter already (I have the post baby belly fat) and I will continue to take for three months, provided the headaches ease off, and I'm hopeful they will.
122) As an internal medicine specialist (Clinical chemist/microbiologist/ histologist/hematologist/cytologist and immunologist, I can never recommend anything that suppresses natural body enzymes or their natural functions. Dr. Oz is nothing more than a quack!
Anyone who listens to a surgeon (who, by the way, is paid to cut, not diagnose), is just plain lazy and looking for a quick fix rather than doing it the natural way, through hard exercise and eating a healthy, non fattening, low carbohydrate diet.
As for those corporate stooges representing this time bomb in a pill, commenting on here about me and others having an ulterior motive or representing some other health food company I say this: I am an extremely well schooled individual who has sworn the oath of Hippocrates to do no harm through my practice of internal medicine.
Mess with the body's homeostasis and it will revolt on you in ways you cannot imagine, and usually with disastrous consequences. Remember this: when we were dragging our knuckles we ate nuts and roots and berries and meat, not Twinkies and pizza, greasy chicken, etc.
120) I've been taking GC for two days now. The only issue that I've had is regurgitating the pill and throwing it up because of acid reflux, but my fiancé has been taking it for almost a week and he is looking a lot more lean. He's losing the weight. It is a proper diet and exercise, but when you take this, I know people are saying they have side effects. The research I did shows the side effects usually last between a week to two weeks with the headaches and nausea because this is a new herbal product you're putting in your body, but there's only two brands that are recommended.
I you guys listen to Dr. Oz, he said there's two things to look for in the ingredients and make sure the website shows the labeling. If they do not show the labeling, then it's one of the ones that is not going to work. The two that we ordered were one brand: Whole Body Research, which is what my fiancé and I are taking right now and it's working wonders. It says it contains the ingredients that we need, but it’s saying it needs to have calcium and potassium and it needs to have at least 50 percent of the Garcinia cambogia, which is 1500 milligrams.
I usually take it two or three times a day. Instead of taking it 30 minutes before the meal, you take it an hour before meals, and like I said, I haven't had any problems with the kidneys or anything like that. Honestly, some of you might have gotten a hold of the brand that is full of it. There are I think, about 78 brands out there that are not good and that's why you guys are not seeing results.
The second brand is Premium Quality Garcinia cambogia, and 100 percent pure natural Garcinia cambogia is what it says. These are the only two sites that showed the label, so if you're going to try it look for the label, that is the most important thing to look for. If they show the label, you can see the ingredients and then you can order that one. These two are the ones I’ve tried that we ordered.
Like I said, the first one is the Whole Body Research, which we’re trying. I have severe acid reflux with a hiatal hernia so I'm not supposed to be taking it but I'm on day three and my body is finally getting used to it so if I can handle it I'm pretty sure any of you all can.
I've had to make a lot of sacrifices.
But introducing braggs apple cider vinegar (AVC) to the equation brings a fresh twist.
Aside from the mild side effects Purely Inspired Garcinia Cambogia may cause, as with all dietary supplements, the product could interact with medications a consumer may regularly take.
I've had a lot of health issues and I've been in and out of the ER. I was told I can do this. Another thing that might help people is because it is trying to detox your body and it does do a little bit of cleansing. Try to take it with the Renew Life Cleanse Smart Morning and Evening Formula. Do the morning and evening formulas for three days before you take the GC. What that does is cleanse your liver, your lymphatic system, your digestive system your lymph nodes and it’s like a whole internal cleanse that will help balance it when you decide to take the Garcinia cambogia. Hope this helps all of you guys.
118) I took GC for two months, lost 25 pounds and I almost died. I had pains in my side and back muscles. I had headaches. I got really bad and went to the hospital because I wasn't producing insulin. I had kidney stone surgery, now have two stents and a blocked bike duct. I also had acute pancreatitis. I spent thousands in medical bills. I've been off it for two months and I am gaining the weight back.
117) I've been taking this for about two weeks now and have lost seven pounds, however, I now have a tightening in my throat that feels like it's closing. I also have allergies so I've taken Benadryl but nothing is helping. Could it be the GC?
116) I started taking this product three days ago. I have been having ones three times a day. I have had diarrhea, headaches, couldn't sleep until after 1 a.m. last night, was dizzy and had blurred vision last night. I felt like I was off my head on drugs and had to go to bed. I just lucky my son was in bed at the time.
I have taken another one this morning and feel okay, just a bit nauseated still. I think I will keep it going for another few days and see if the symptoms go away. Maybe it's just my body cleaning itself out. Hoping it works!
115) I've been taking this stuff for three weeks now. While I find it does suppress my appetite, I haven't lost a single pound. I exercise at least three times a week and haven't changed my workout regimen since I started taking it. I don't need to lose a ton of weight -- five pounds would be fine, and 10 would be awesome, but I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time with this stuff. I have no side effects, and the product I'm taking doesn't contain any fillers. I don't understand why I'm seeing no results.
113) For people getting headaches: it did the same to me, but I work at a store that sells it and I've seen tons of people dropping weight. For ladies with high or low estrogen levels, which could also be a contributor to high sugar levels, it will give you a super headache. I'm not saying that toxins are usually the reason, but having experienced it myself, I knew it was a different kind of headache, and sometimes when you have had a certain amount of sugar in your diet, your body will also have side effects if getting rid of a usual supply of something. My headaches are gone, and my hormones are also calming without all those insulin spikes. I'm losing weight and feeling better. Women who experience anger probably should use progesterone cream. That stuff is awesome; just follow the directions.
112) I am normally a very fit person. I have a set routine, but since taking garcinia cambogia, I have no longer been able to do that routine as I have been experiencing shortness of breath and unusual muscle aches.
I would advise anyone who exercises regularly not to take this. I have been far more tired than usual, also. I just threw mine away.
111) @digimon, Post 14: I understand why you would think that way about the diabetes warnings. However, the concern is valid. Here's why, from what my diabetes instructor told me: diabetes is not a disease of high blood sugar; it is a disease of the body not being able to maintain a balance of sugar and natural insulin. What happens in diabetes is the sugar spikes and drops and the body can't make enough insulin (or possibly, use enough) insulin to keep everything balanced (like not having a good balance of air and fuel in a car), so the body can't function properly.
For me, my blood sugar levels should never drop below 82 or rise above 150. If my sugar drops below 60, there's a good chance I could slip into a coma or die. It seems that there is some concern and possibly not enough information about how much GC can possibly cause the sugar to drop, and therefore it could possibly be a risk for a diabetic. Better safe than sorry.
110) Can you take it while on Synthroid?
109) @anon345828: I'm really sorry you spent your money for this. I've never taken it and don't know what it does, but I know what my endocrinologist told me: Dr. Oz is the most dangerous man on TV. My doc said if Oz would just stress to people to eat healthy and exercise, he wouldn't have a problem with it, but he said Oz is just a shill for all these people with the latest cure-alls. He has actually had patients tell him that his diagnosis/advice/treatment couldn't possibly work because Dr. Oz said something to the contrary! And if you knew my endo, you'd know just how foolhardy that kind of statement is.
I wouldn't trust Dr. Oz to tell me my house is on fire.
108) This stuff is worthless. Dr. Oz should be ashamed of himself for touting this fraudulent product. I have been exercising and eating 1,500 calories a day for three weeks. I have lost two pounds taking the garcinia cambogia as directed. I've had headaches and no weight loss.
I generally would not spend $100 on a diet pill, but Dr. Oz gave it such a fabulous review, I thought, why not? He is a quack - and I'm the same weight, just poorer.
107) Are there any type 2 diabetics who are taking Garcinia Cambogia regardless of these posts? If so, do you have any side effects?
104) This sounds very unsafe and very questionable. Dr. Oz, any comments on these posts?
103) I have tried Pure Garcinia on and off for about five months. (I bought it according to the specifications Dr. Oz spoke of). I felt good on it at first, but saw only a three pound weight loss. I would occasionally burp and tasted a smokey taste. One day, five minutes after taking it I burped and I opened my mouth, and smoke came pouring out of my mouth! My 15 year old and I both freaked out!
I stopped it for two months, went back on last week, and I have had horrible headaches every day. My mother tried taking it and she had the opposite effects of what it's supposed to do. She became miserable! So I guess I am stopping this stuff for good.
102) I have been taking the Pure Garcinia Cambogia for less than a week. I have severe headaches daily, multiple times a day. It is disappointing. I do not know what I am going to do. I don't think however that if the headaches continue that I will be able to keep taking the GCP. Unfortunate.
101) I've taken GC for three days and have had a constant headache. I rarely get a headache so I can only assume that it is being caused by taking GC.
I think any product that causes headaches should be avoided. A headache is a sign of some sort of toxicity, and it involves the brain! Pay attention to what your body tells you. For me, it's a no brainier. I'm saying goodbye to my headaches and the pills that caused them.
100) Can obese teens take this?
98) For ladies who are pregnant or breastfeeding, please don't take this at all. No current drug to date has been tested for pregnant women for the main reason nobody can predict side effects of any drug on pregnant women. No ethical company would venture into that form of testing and nobody would know how this medication can affect the body of a pregnant or lactating woman. Please don't take it.
97) I have heard many reports of horrible side effects on this product and I am nervous about taking it. I have a coworker who is in health and fitness and she sells all natural supplements that were referred to her by her personal trainer. Do your research, guys! Don't take products that are mixed with other ingredients that can be potentially harmful.
96) I have taken it three times now, and I will never take another pill ever! I have had the worst stomach cramps and diarrhea in my live.
94) It sounds reasonably harmless, although some of the posts sound as though they are coming from supporters of another product or company that uses another product. Obviously, we are not all the same, so I would suggest giving it a go under medical advice and to all the mockers, I would ask if they went to a doctor to find out if GC caused the side effects or just their minds.
93) I lost over 12 pounds in the first two weeks using Garcinia Cambogia and between four and five pounds every week after, while just walking about a mile a day.
I am very happy with the results and can deal with the few relatively minor side affects I have experienced. I have suffered from some minor irritable bowel/cramping and very loose stools that seem to come and go suddenly. This has not been an issue long as I stay close to restroom facilities. I have also experienced some red, blotchy spots on my face and chest and some irregular hot flashes. Really, the most worrisome of my side effects has been the patches of thick, dark, coarse hair that began sprouting up on my buttocks and upper back.
I am still very happy with Garcinia Cambogia and would recommend it to anyone, as it has contributed to my significant weight loss and substantial suppression of appetite. The irritable bowel/cramping and blotchy spots should clear up after I reach my goal weight and stop taking the supplement.
Garcinia Cambogia Weight Loss Supplement Pills South Africa Garcinia Cambogia is God’s gift to mankind-This is what the pharmaceutical companies that thrive on prescription weight loss drugs don’t want you to know.
And I can just shave the excess hair off or maybe get laser hair removal. Really, it’s a small price to pay to lose a significant amount of weight.
91) Post #36 has made my day -- funny stuff. I have not started taking yet but you people need to understand that by nature, the majority of the post will be negative because it's easier to give negative feedback than positive. Just try it. For about $30 dollars is a fair risk to take if it works!
90) I took it for six weeks and my liver enzymes (AST/ALT) doubled. I threw it away!
88) Great post! My Mother had been using green coffee beans to lose weight until she heard about Garcinia Cambogia on the Dr. Oz show. She says Garcinia Cambogia is better.
87) I took it for two weeks and I had a bad reaction with terrible hives all over my body for three days.
86) I suspect that risks for Garcinia Cambogia may depend on the brand. Some have stimulants like caffeine or gaurana which can boost energy, but also heart rate which can be unsafe for some.
National Standard says it is safe when consumed orally.
The reason it isn't safe for diabetics is because some diabetics or those on meds are at risk of low blood sugar levels. If the blood sugar drops too low, it can be fatal. A pre-diabetic or type II diabetic may not have that issue, as the illness is different.
I would think the best bet here would be to test the blood sugar at regular intervals after taking it to be sure it doesn't go too low.
85) I use Garcinia Camgogia and yes have experienced one side effect of diarrhea. With that, said I asked my doctor about this and she said that it will stop about a week into using it and she was right. She attributed the diarrhea with the body cleaning itself out, which made sense. It has helped me with my weight loss. I have hypothyroid disease (well I actually don't even have a thyroid anymore) and weight gain is easy but weight loss is really hard. This has helped me considerably.
84) Don't know if I've had any weight loss after two weeks, but I am now experiencing sore muscles all over which has been going for a few days. I may have to stop taking it.
83) I have been taking this for 12 days. The first day I took a whole pill and was so over stimulated that I could not get any paper work done all day. I did, however, have an energetic workout on my Nordic Track. The second day I reduced the dose to only half of a pill. That was easily tolerated. I continued at half a pill a day for seven days. Then four days of one whole pill per day.
One the evening of the twelfth day, my pulse shot up to 180 beats per minute after going out to my car to grab a bag of groceries. It was a short walk of only 60 steps or so. I was out of breath and had a pain in my chest which I thought was my windpipe. After about three minutes I was able to catch my breath and decided to check my pulse. It was pounding away at 180 beats per minute. It took about an hour for it to settle down to 100 beats per minute and by then it was past midnight, so I went to bed.
I am afraid to use this product any more. Too bad. It did a good job of suppressing my appetite.
82) Don't take this. My friend's mum died from it. Don't believe what everyone says "that they really work." They may lose weight, but not the natural way. It's really bad for health. A good diet and exercise will help you better.
81) I have been taking Garcinia Cambogia as directed for two weeks and have not seen any results. I go to the gym four days a week and also eat very healthy. How come some people seem to loss and others don't?
80) I started Garcinia Cambogia Extract, rightway brand, all natural no additives, no added ingredients, 50 percent HCA. I feel a little light headed and that's it. No cramps, no pain, no other symptoms so far. I guess it affects different people differently. We'll see what happens.
79) I've been taking it for a few weeks now and I have literally lost 0 pounds.
It's kind of irritating me. I take two pills daily, 30 minutes before a meal on an empty stomach and nothing!
76) I've been taking it for two weeks. I eat half as much as I used too and have lost 10 pounds. I have no side effects. Go for it.
74) My husband and I just completed the first bottle of Pure Garcinia Cambogia, and we are not having any problems. We have two bottles to go, we take them as prescribed on the bottle two on an empty stomach daily.
My husband is diabetic on a small dose of metformin and takes a lose dose of lisinopril for hypertension-no issues with low blood sugars and he is an avid daily exerciser. I have celiac disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and I am IgA absent/deficient. We have had no problems.
I am constipated, but have been so for some time because of my thyroid. You are supposed to take this for no longer than 12 weeks. There have been no long-term studies for safety past the 12 weeks. The numerous short-term up to 12 week studies show this all natural dietary supplement that comes from the rind of the fruit to be safe with some mild symptoms.
There are many people out there with co-morbidities who have gained weight because of their other health issues and they are looking for the fix all to the weight their weight problem. This may not be realistic for them. Garcinia Cambogia has potassium and calcium; these two things work together with the product as a catalyst. Anyone with kidney disease or undiagnosed kidney disease and or renal insufficiency should not use this product until consulting with their doctor or nephrologist because of the potassium.
Some of this is common sense and we ordered the Pure Garcinia Cambogia, the one we saw on Dr. Oz, who I have never known to promote anything and they clearly say this on their site that if you have other health problems you need to speak with your doc first. This is a no brainer, people!
72) Do not use this product!
I took a total of four doses over four days (not near the recommended dosage) and this product has
made my very mild hypoglycemia go into overdrive. I am going to the doctor this afternoon because I cannot seem to get by blood sugar back up to normal levels. This product is not worth it!
71) I am so disappointed. I used four whole bottles of a well known brand and have no use for it. Additionally, now I have some kidney issues and I did not mention the nausea and headache. I regret it and I am so disappointed.
70) Second thought. I just decided to purchase the Garcinia Cambogia Extract. However, I read about the premium information. I trust my choice of Wholefood Store, and I reserved a bottle for purchase. Everything they ever sold me naturally helped me. They know their products. Besides, I almost forgot about Internet tactics.
I am healthy but I could stand to shed a few pounds. As a full-time psychology student, I learned how people react to brainwash innocent people. A healthy policy is checking with the doctor first, especially if you are taking medication, ill, or when in doubt. Your doctor has higher medical learning of the body, and your body.
69) Visiting the doctor first before purchasing the product is wisdom. Everything for possible weight loss is not for everyone. Someone sent me an e-mail about the video. I located the product in Dallas, Texas.
First, I thought it best to research and locate the actual fruit if sold in Texas. I prefer the original whole fruit, which I may eat in moderation. Besides, I enjoy eating healthy with 100 percent certified organic foods as often as possible. In addition, I learned the body requires a portion of healthy fats. Therefore, I eat fresh avocados, and virgin coconut oil with MCT's.
Walking is essential for me, and the results are changing my body. When I walked, I noticed after a while my cardio was welcomed naturally and was energizing my muscles and red blood cells. One thing about walking: Jesus walked.
Anyway, after reading all the posted remarks, I decided to approach my personal weight loss naturally. I drink cayenne pepper and warm tea [8oz] one hour before I take my early morning two-mile walk. That is best for me once a week, but I also drink plenty of water. I drink the second glass of water with a hint of fresh lime juice.
I also eat fresh, certified organic cucumbers to hydrate my cells, plus a cube of fresh seeded watermelon, which also hydrates my cells. I breathe in and out at the count of twenty before rising, before I walk, and after I walk. I juice a with pear and Lacinato Kale early for breakfast. I also enjoy a healthy salad and warm lettuce soup for lunch, and a nice healthy meal for dinner. I don't eat after six, but a snack (cucumber, watermelon, or fresh baby spinach wrapped around a thin slice of fresh pineapple).
I am having a blast with natural fruits, dark-green vegetables, herbs, and seeds. I love healthy red apples, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, dark cherries, limes, lemons, mango, peaches, kiwi, seeded Seville oranges, and plums. Almonds, walnuts, papaya, and pumpkin seeds are my favorite nuts and making a bountiful small salad is my treat. In conclusion, consulting with the doctor is smart, responsible, intelligent and mentally healthy.
68) One more supposed weight loss remedy spamming the market with no definitive proof for humans whatsoever, and loads of side effects.
I've been looking all over the net for forum discussions and I haven't even found consistent testimonials, let alone meaningful clinical studies.
Abortifacient effects of the roots of Momordica angustisepala.
Whoever put this stuff on the market should be in jail.
67) I'm so on the fence about this. I guess I will have to skip this. I just came off of a kidney transplant and am desperate to lose weight. I want to try it and ask my doctor about it but I am hesitant because obviously I could damage my new kidney and therefore stand to lose a lot more than a normally healthy person.
So my question is: if this supplement is so effective, harmless and 100 percent natural, why hasn't someone figured out how to just export the damn fruit here from Asia and be done with it?
66) I have been taking this for 2 weeks and have had no problems at all. I take synthroid for a hypothyroid and it has not affected me at all. I have energy, lost weight and feel great. I have asked my doctor and he said go ahead and try it. I showed him the bottle and he did not see anything in there that could harm me. I say go for it and see what happens!
65) I can't believe how ridiculous some of these posts are. You don't even have to be a high school graduate to know most of these claims are false. I haven't used this product, but I won't let any of these so called "side effects" stop me from trying it. They all sound ludicrous.
64) I can't believe all the bad reports I'm reading. I didn't know it had such a bad effect on so many people. I've been taking the NutriGold brand, at $25 dollars/180 pills for about a month now, and I've had no side effects, and lost seven pounds. I think it matters what brand you use, too.
63) I have been taking this for a week now. So far, I am losing weight (slowly). I find that my normally addictive tendencies toward food have greatly subsided. I haven't felt the side effects others are listing above, so I'm not sure if they are taking straight Cambogia, or one of the many items on the market that have that as one of the ingredients.
I tried another supplement that also had caffeine in it. That one made me very ill. I bought the one I have based on Dr. Oz's recommendations (only Garcinia Cambogia), and haven't suffered for it as of today.
62) It made me very, very, very irritable! Sure, I had no appetite, but who wanted to be around me? Not even me!
61) I am so sorry to see that this product Garcinia Cambogia has caused horrific side affects! I am a distributor for Herbalife and my mom was thinking of getting this product, so I decided to do research on my own and see what it is all about and I am thankful I came across this website.
60) I read every post and I'm more confused than before! Some like it, some fear it and some hate it. So, with the web waiting, I guess I will investigate a site that might actually tell me something I can use!
59) I have a constant headache with the use of this product! I am miserable. I do not recommend it!
58) After a week of taking GC, I am sending it back to the company. I am so disappointed in the fact that, before I bought it, I first searched for side effects, I found none other than slight headache and Dr. Oz's glowing recommendation that it had no side effects. He actually says he gets no kickbacks from sales. He should shut up until he knows all the facts as seen here in these posts.
I have had slight headaches every day and yesterday, got terribly dizzy, and had cold sweats and diarrhea. I thought I was coming down with the flu, but all passed within a few hours. I am definitely not using this again. My GC has potassium in it, so I say be very careful and I hope you read these posts before you buy.
57) I took one dose of this today for the first time and I am feeling horrible. I have severe headache, nausea, dizziness and sweating -- not a good thing. I do not think I will continue taking this.
56) I have really bad back problems. I was in an accident a year ago, and as a result, I gained 80 extra pounds and I really want it off. I still can't do much and I was really thinking about taking Garcinia Cambogia to help but all these comments are scary. I already have heart problems now. Does any one have anything positive to say about it or know of another way or something else that's better?
55) Dr Oz is recommending this and it concerns me very much that he jumps on the bandwagon of anything that seems to arouse attention and taps into people's desperation. It is very irresponsible of him to recommend remedies that he himself has not tested. He goes by what 'manufacturers and producers' say. To me, he is unconcerned about the side effects people are suffering because he cannot be held liable but he still gets an audience which pushes up his ratings.
53) After reading all of the previous posts, I think there is a general consensus that this product is not good for anyone. I haven't used it but just by reading the side effects people are reporting, I think it would be best to avoid using this substance in any supplemental form.
52) I took it and my throat felt real tight like I was having a hard time taking a breath. I will never use these again. Horrible experience.
51) I ordered what was supposed to be the product Dr Oz recommends from a mysterious web site. Well after taking only one pill a day for three days, my stomach was upset and I had bouts of diarrhea. Imagine if I had taken the three pills a day!
I tried to return them and was told that I could not return opened products. Don't buy anything from a company called Weight Loss Punch. It was $38 down the drain for nothing.
49) I was taking a product that is very good and was trying to lose a few pounds, so I decided that I'd kill two birds with one stone and take the product geared for weight loss. I had several bouts with what I thought was choking when I took vitamins. My mother even tried to do the Heimlich Maneuver, which didn't work.
When it happened a third time, I went to emergency. I found out that the product added for weight loss was Garcinia Cambogia. You would think you could find information on side effects somewhere on the web, but I had to search for a long time. I finally found a web site that said one of the side effects in some people is a tightening and constricting of the throat that's actually caused a few deaths, although not many.
I don't care how few it was. After my reaction, I am not taking any weight loss products. I'm doing really fine on my own, since it's not caused by bad eating habits, but thyroid and back problems that made exercising difficult. I'd advise anyone thinking of trying this to be extremely careful.
47) I started taking it a week ago and on the eighth day, I started to feel dizzy, breathless, with a sore throat and fatigue. Are these its side effects?
46) I just want to ask if I can drink slimming coffee made from garcinia cambogia, even if I'm breastfeeding my 5 months old baby?
45) I took it for two days and started having terrible stomach pains that radiated all the way through to my back.
I stopped and then thought it was caused by me lowering my anti depressant dose and so I upped the dose and was feeling great. Today I took another one and now I'm in pain again. This stuff cannot be good. Be careful, guys!
44) I had seizures for the past two and a half years. Since then I was not able to experience seizure attacks anymore. would this be a side effect?
43) Im currently drinking shakes that contain Garcinia along with Gymnema, and Forskohliee, all of which are natural fat burners. The shakes provide 100 percent of the clinically effective doses. I've been dropping pounds weekly. I've also noticed my cravings have diminished.
42) I'm using this slimming coffee and it contains garcinia cambogia. Is it safe?
40) does brazilian slimming coffee have an effect on the kidneys and the liver?
38) I think you should be careful and pay more attention on your trials, because there are many products which have little to almost none of the HCA. Secondly, many factors that contribute to different illnesses don't mean this will end your intake, you cannot tell the real cause apart since there aren't exact symptoms for this. You should do a placebo for some months and see what you should eliminate from your symptoms.
36) I took this and a got explosive diarrhea. It was awful, and I think working out made it worse. I soiled the entire stair climber. I cleaned it up, so they still allow me back in the gym.
I wear a diaper now when I work out, and i still get the explosive diarrhea when I work out, but at least now it doesn't make a mess and I can clean myself up in the gym shower after.
I am losing weight fast as well. I have lost 80 lbs over the last two weeks! The headaches and cramps suck, but at least I am losing weight! I was wondering if maybe I double my intake it would help my diarrhea. I mean, it's so explosive right now, I am wondering if I can get more in my system it would overcome this.
35) I take it for two or three days and I have headaches after every administration. I get up in the morning with a headache, I take an analgesic, it passes away and after the next administration the headache appears again, and so on. I have read somewhere that there are reports of toxicity in the liver. I plan to take the pills maximum one or two days and if the headaches won't disappear, I will cease the treatment.
34) i have thyroid cancer. My thyroid gland has been totally removed. i take thyroxin every day for life to serve as my thyroid. i really want to take a slimming coffee containing garnicia cambogia.
Sign up for ShippingPass so you can shop more, save money and live better.
can i drink this? is that safe for me. I'm waiting for your reply. thank you so much.
32) i just want to ask anon #20 67675: How does your sister use the garnicia cambogia? is it some kind of powder? where did she buy it? i want to try those to lose weight. thanks. I'm waiting for a reply.
31) The muscle cramps could be caused by loss of potassium, a common side effect of many prescribed medications as well as those sold over the counter. The easiest and most natural way to treat this is drink more water and eat bananas (on the advice of my pharmacist) so you don't have to resort to another prescription to control this side effect.
You can take otc potassium supplements, but many people can have heart problems and swelling from them.
30) In Kerala India, the fruit of this tree is used as a cooking ingredient and this place has the lowest death rate in India.
29) I took this for a month. And now I am having muscle cramps, headaches. Can somebody please help me?
28) In response to some of the earlier posts: If you take a supplement and it makes you feel sick in some way (nausea, muscle tremors, etc.), then you should stop taking it. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA or any other agency. The manufacturers don't have to prove that they are safe or effective before they sell them.
You are naive if you think that the manufacturers of supplements (herbal or otherwise) are any different than the pharmaceutical companies, as far as profits taking priority over your well-being.
27) I am curious about this. I took it for the first time today and feeling light headed a bit dizzy and earlier muscle spasms. should I carry on taking this? is it safe?
26) I have Varicocele plus chronic constipation. Should I take Garcinia Plus (Garcinia Cambogia plus Chromium) for weight control? Please tell me. It is important. Please advise.
25) I'm breastfeeding my baby. What is the effect on my baby if i take this garcinia cambogia?
24) i have taken a shake with garcinia for two weeks and right away I noticed muscle spasm and wondered if that was it.
now I skipped one dose and my hands cramped so badly it scared me. I still have muscle cramps and have been so lightheaded. I do not know what to do now.
21) I am curious about this. But the first time I took it, it felt really good, it energized me and I lose my appetite. Though I had a headache and I feel like vomiting sometimes. Is this OK? I also have a lot of allergies. Is it safe taking this? Thanks!
20) but how safe is this substance? my sister had used it for a week and she lost weight fast.
19) I have had nine month of stomach problems, enlarged pancreas, etc. after taking this. Do not take it! It is dangerous! I am otherwise very healthy- still having stomach issues.
18) Diabetics can be divided into two groups based on their requirements for insulin. Type 1 is Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (IDDM). Type 2 is Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (NIDDM). Garcinia cambogia, I think, is contraindicated to diabetics of type 1 class. Please refer to medical books/references for further inquiries/concerns.
17) I lost weight with tenuate and garcinia cambogia and I now have problems in my heart beat and heart valves.
16) This is a respose for anti-diabetic use of Garcinia Cambogia. There are many herbal drugs that control blood sugar such as Cinnamon, bitter melon, gymnema - sylvestre, Banba, etc. You cannot advertise them for sugar control. Diabetes is a slow-killer and regulatory authorities don't want the consumers to rely on these poor approches to control the disease. There should be a well controlled, placebo, double-blind, randomized, clinical trial to approve or disapprove its use. For your information. Ali.
15) I am more concerned with the thought that HCA might form acetylcholine in the brain which can cause paralysis and muscle spasms. This has been more of the side effects I encountered.
14) I fail to see how the warning for diabetics not to take Carcinia Cambogia is valid. How can something that lowers blood sugar not be advantageous to diabetics? Isn't diabetes a disease of elevated blood sugar? Insulin is a treatment to lower blood sugar, and Carcinia Cambogia appears to do the same thing.
12) what is the effect of garcinia cambogia to the fetus if mom had taken a small amount,about 300-500mg
9) Probably the reason it isn't recommended for diabetics for reasons of lowering blood sugar is that many people regulate their level with metformin (Glucophage) or insulin. If they've already taken their dose and this further lowers their blood sugar level, there is the possibility that they could go into diabetic shock or coma. Although I doubt that could happen, I'm sure that the companies that produce this supplement just want to cover their bases.
Good day to you. I wish everybody a very happy and prosperous new year. In your article about the Garcinia Cambogia, it says, diabetics could be affected by HCA’s tendency to lower blood sugar.
Is it not the remedy for Diabetes, lowering the blood sugar? Then why is Garcinia Cambogia not advised to be taken by diabetic patients?
6) Here in Denmark it has just been pulled back from the stores due to a non-acceptable neurotoxic risk of some sort. Maybe you guys should check up on it!
5) Can I use Garcinia Cambogia if my mother had Alzheimer’s disease and I am in my 50's?
4) I am revved up after taking the PM dose! Is it in my mind?
3) What are the side effects?
2) How does GARCINIA CAMBOGIA help when it is an ingredient in height gain pills/supplements?
Garcinia Cambogia Diet Plan
While dieting can be very frustrating, there are great natural supplements that can help people of all ages see results. Natural supplements, such as Garcinia Cambogia, are very effective for shedding pounds when coupled with a change in diet.
Garcinia Cambogia is a natural fruit that is found in SouthEast Asia. The versatile fruit grows on large trees and is often used for traditional Asian dishes. The active ingredient that helps people lose weight is found in the fruit’s skin. The skin of the fruit contains Hydroxycitric Acid, or HCA. The skin is used to make a concentrated extract that contains high levels of HCA.
HCA has been found to help lose weight by inhibiting fat producing enzymes. In essence, it affects the body’s process of creating and storing fats. This allows people to burn fat easier. Carbohydrates from foods aren’t turned into fat, allowing the body to use the carbohydrates for more energy. With a calorie restricted diet, less fat is formed and the carbohydrates are efficiently burned off.
In addition to inhibiting fat creation, the extract helps to curb the appetite. It’s been found to increase levels of seretonin, which can ultimately reduce cravings. People will find themselves feeling full for much longer. This will help to naturally restrict their caloric intake, resulting in even more results.
Dieters have the option of taking the extract in a pill or liquid form. Pills should be taken 30 to 60 minutes prior to each meal. It’s often recommended to take a pre-meal dose of 500-1000 mg. Liquid extract should be taken 15 minutes prior to each meal. Dieters just place 1 ml of extract underneath their tongue and hold for approximately a minute. This will ensure fast absorption into the body.
The key to losing weight with Garcinia Cambogia is to go on a diet plan. Simply taking the supplement will not help to lose weight. Dieters need to follow a strict Garcinia Cambogia Diet Plan to see results. Eating a healthy balanced diet allows Garcinia Cambogia to work better and more efficiently. You put good in you get good out!
Restricting Calorie Intake
It’s important for dieters to restrict the amount of calories they consume. Reduced calories will help the body burn off existing fat easier. With an accompanying exercise plan, dieters can quickly see the results they want. Over time, dieters will see their weight loss goals come to fruition. The extract’s ability to curb the appetite will make restricting the diet much easier.
There’s no “one size fits all” calorie number. Everyone’s body is different. Different factors, such as age and activity level, can affect the amount of calories a body needs to stay healthy. That being said, it’s recommended to stay in the neighborhood of 2000 calories a day to see results. Dieters can choose to go as low as 1700 calories up to 2200 calories per day depending on their needs and health.
Going on a diet doesn’t mean people have to limit themselves to just salads. Dieters need to be smart and aware of what goes into their bodies. There are a number of different foods that are high in calories, ultimately making the diet fail. It’s good to avoid calorie rich foods such as the following:
Those are just a few foods that need to be avoided. Dieters should also avoid consuming additional fats. Fried foods and oily salad dressings can cause slow results.
To effectively see results, dieters can follower a flexible Garcinia Cambogia Diet Plan that consists of low calorie foods to speed up their weight loss. Dieters don’t have to be limited in food selection. Dieters can change up their diet daily to add a bit of variety.
For breakfast, dieters can choose to eat one of the following:
For Lunch and Dinner, there are a number of different healthy options.